by Kenneth Justice
~Do you ever feel as though you’re way too inundated with sex? This morning as I went through my regular morning reading schedule I came across the normal deluge of sex related articles;
—) “7 Secrets to better sex”
—) “How to have a better wedding night”
—) “Sex like you’ve never had it before”
Hey, I’m not some prude when it comes to sex; I like it just as much as the next person, but I’m not so obsessed with sex that I want to read about it every single morning when I click on my E-reader. Why do media outlets like “Huffington Post”, “Time Magazine” and others think that we all want to read about sex every single day?
And lets be honest; do any of us really believe that an article which promises “7 new sex positions you’ve never heard of” has really come up with a new sex position? Sex is as old as humanity and I seriously doubt there is some kind of sex position that the trillions of humans who came before us didn’t think of; when you’re living in a cave 8,000 years ago life must have been pretty boring so I’m sure they used their imagination.
Initially I was going to title this article “The dumb things men talk about” and list “SEX” as the number 1 dumb thing. Being the perennial coffee-house bum that I am, I’ve been privy to more dumb conversations about sex with other men than I care to admit. Too many men these days in the Western World are very one-dimensional when it comes to conversational topics; sports and sex makes up 89.9% of the things the average man enjoys discussing (their job being the other 10.1%). Perhaps “enjoy” is the wrong word; I think that men don’t know what to talk about so that sports and sex is merely their crutch conversational topics.
So what prevents men from expanding their topical vocabulary? Why do men sit in huddled little groups at bars and gawk at the young women who walk by? A friend of mine used to work as a server at a local dive bar and she would tell me how sad and pathetic it was to see these old men sit in there night-after-night getting drunk and talking about what they’d like to do to some young lass….as if some young lass would actually be interested in a guy whose highlight of the day is getting drunk at a bar.
Perhaps I’m blinded and being shortsighted but I’ve noticed a different trend among the men who are regular bloggers; the topics they write about are much more expansive than merely sex and sports. There are a lot of male philosophers and poets in the blogging world and it is encouraging to see all of the different issues of life that they tackle through their writings. And while I love a good beer just as much as the next dude, I don’t get the vibe that these male philosophers and poets in the blogging world are getting s*** faced every night at some dive bar.
There is a new trend in the Western World; more women are graduating college than men. Depending on the area, women are graduating college at as much as a 20% higher rate than men. This might explain why I’m noticing more-and-more men who are only interested in talking about sex and sports; as less and less men expand their minds they have less and less to say about life.
Where do we even begin to start when it comes to correcting this sorry state of male intellects? I suspect it begins in the home. Instead of praising little Johnny if he makes the soccer squad or the football team, perhaps we should pat him on the back when he finished reading a book. This is not to knock athletics; I really enjoy certain sports….but I do not worship sports as I have many different interests in life.
Interestingly enough, when researchers tried to find indicators as to what facets of home life led to more intellectually astute children; it wasn’t parents who read to their children that led to higher test scores…but rather; homes that had the most books were the homes that the brightest students came from.
When I was younger I tried out for the most famous sports team in my state; during the tryouts the coach told us that less than 1% of all high school athletes would play their respected sport in college, and less than 1% of college athletes would play at the professional level. “So while sports is fun to do in our youth, its good exercise, its good for learning how to work together; it should not be the main focus of our life” he said.
So while there is nothing wrong with decorating your den or television room with the colors of your favorite sports team, you may also want to add a few books to the shelves if you have any children in your house. Of course, perhaps you believe that sex is the most important topic in life, and if that is the case, you’re probably going to send me a nasty email telling me what a waste of time my article was for you,
So while I wait for your email I’m going to get another cup of coffee,